Before you even start photography school, you probably want to have an idea of the average salary you might make as a photographer.
- The salary range varies widely, depending on the type of photography and the business where you work.
- Very few fine art photographers earn enough to make a living.
- Self-employed photographers can make a decent living, but they may work a lot of hours, especially at the beginning when they are building the business.
- The most stable income is found with those working as news or sports photographers or with those working for a company or business that hires full-time photographers.
- Another factor in the equation is the amount of equipment needed for self-employed photographers. The cost of that can mean a low level of actual income in the early months or years.
The United StatesBureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that the growth rate for the profession of photography will increase at close to the average for all professions. Salaries will most likely advance at an average rate as well. The self-employed photographer can increase his income mostly by working more hours. One of the biggest factors in making a living may not be the quality of the photographs taken, but the astute business practices of the self-employed photographer. Finding bargains for equipment and other business needs may be the best way to increase one’s chances of earning a good living.