Communication School Tests

It is a fact that admission tests are required of all students applying to communications degree college. If you attended an accredited high school, then the usual tests to take are either the SAT or ACT (with or without writing) or both. Some colleges may also require that you take an SAT Subject Test in a prescribed area. If you attended a high school that was not accredited, or if you were home-schooled, then these standardized entrance exams become critical to your successful admission.

If you are planning to take the SAT or ACT, it is suggested that you take your first test in the spring of your junior year. Your high school counseling office can advise you on your school’s policy regarding testing opportunities. SATs and ACTs are given on Saturday mornings, although you can take the test on Sunday if your religious beliefs prohibit Saturday testing.
SAT Subject Tests are offered in English, History, Mathematics, Science and Languages. They are given on the same Saturday that SATs are offered, and you can take up to three tests in a single sitting. You may not take the SAT and SAT Subject Tests on the same Saturday. You will want to survey your college Communications choices to see if they advise taking any Subject Tests.
After you have taken your first round of SAT and/or ACT, you may decide that you want to take the test again. Early test dates in the fall of your senior year are ideal for this purpose. Before taking your test again, studying is the key. See if your school offers a prep class.

The SAT and ACT both offer online classes and test-taking strategies on their websites— for the SAT and for the ACT. Plenty of free help is out there, so don’t be afraid to ask. Studies have shown that scores do not automatically rise on the second or third attempt and, in fact, frequently fall. Preparation is crucial to improve your score.
If you have graduated from college and want to pursue your communications degree at the graduate level, you will need to take a GRE test for admission to graduate school.